Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Fighting, Not Failure

Yet again, I have had trouble keeping up with my treatment plan. It all started with ice cream after dinner one day. It was a busy day and I said to myself that just one small bowl of ice cream is fine, I won't eat too much. Then I figured I could have a bit of dessert another day. Then Christmas came and I thought "It's Christmas, I will only have dessert today and that's it." It ended in many bowls of ice cream and dozens of cookies after a depression set it because I was eating poorly- and it was all down hill from there.

For a while I saw these times of struggling with my plan as failure. Failure to do what I need to be stable, weakness on my part for giving in to eating wrong, or spending too much money, or staying up all night. Now I know it is not failure, it is me fighting to have the life I deserve. No matter how hard it is and how many times I mess up, I will keep fighting to get better, it is the only option I have.

Now what I am coming to terms with is that I can not take a day or hour off of my treatment plan. I can't just eat a bowl of ice cream once, or stay out late because I am with friends, or skip a workout. It may seem strict to some people, but for people like me it is what we need to do to survive.

Due to my illness, I have many limitations on my life. The more I try to be "like everyone else" and have the same lifestyle other people can have, the sicker I get. Sometimes people around me see this as weak to need so many things to take care of myself and weak when I can't always follow the plan. Instead I see it as strong for continually fighting for my life.

I hope you all fight for your life as well, no matter how many setbacks you have.

Blessings,

Rev. Katie

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Well put Katie! You may as well have been describing my life! I totally understand the necessity to stick to a plan for wellness. I have found that with most sweets, if I just cheat once a week, the cravings won't get hold of me, but more than once and I am in trouble, and then not feeling well. Thanks for putting it the way you did implying that we are not pampering ourselves but we are fighting for our lives. Keep on keeping on. Oh and by the way, I have linked to you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Katie! In my last marriage, my ex shamed me because I needed extra help or extra rest due to my depression and fibromyalgia. He even got angry with me for getting (for free, online) a Reach flosser, a tool that has proved easy-to-use and valuable in maintaining oral health. He thought that I shouldn't need to use a special tool - "what's wrong with regular floss?" was his contention. Well, I can't handle regular floss easily due to pain and decreased manual dexterity and mobility, but he didn't accept that reality. I don't mean to go on about dental floss and ex-husband - just trying to illustrate my point. :-) Yes, we do need extras to fight the physical and psychological challenges placed on us. Thank you for putting it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    Thank you for linking me, I have added you as well. Keep taking care of yourself!

    Anastacia,
    We really do just need to care for ourselves even when other people think it is weird. I'm glad you find ways to do that for yourself!

    Blessings,

    Rev. Katie

    ReplyDelete