Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Paleo / Whole30 Diet for Bipolar II

These past few weeks have been pretty bad with my husband traveling so much. So of course, I rarely slept, ate badly, and did not exercise enough. My medications don't really work anymore as I was getting very bad side effects from them, so we are back to the drawing board of how to take care of me. As you can assume, all of the emotional ups and downs and bad self care led to illness; I now have shingles (for those of us who had chicken pox, we all have shingles in our system and it can become active when your immune system is low), and some issue with my wrist that is pretty painful.

With the medications not working and my health getting worse, we have decided to take more action around my diet. We have known for a long time that a sugar-free, gluten-free diet has helped me, but I always have such a hard time sticking to it and I found ways around eating healthy. I would just eat tons of gluten-free substitutes and artificial sweetener and I still didn't feel well. Also, I get wrapped up into the whole "one piece of cake won't hurt you" mentality and it is all down hill from there.
Photo by Jeff Norris

In looking for a better diet for me we found that quite a few people with mood disorders have had success with a Paleo diet, and my doctor has mentioned trying it as well. In short a Paleo diet means you eat lean meats, vegetables, and some fruits and nuts. You also make an big effort to buy "happy meat" (grass-fed, pastured meat) and local as often as possible. We have decided to kick off the Paleo diet with a Whole30, which is an even more strict version of Paleo for 30 days that makes sure you cut out sugars, dairy, and soy even in things like the sauce on your meat. This way your body can really reset itself and be free of all the things that could be bothering your system. Then if you want you can add in some things like gluten-free substitutes or a bit more fruit and see how you react so you can create the perfect diet for your body.

I will be writing a few posts over the next week with more information about the research behind the link between sugar and bipolar disorder and other effects our diet can have on our mood. As one article in Everyday Health says "For people with bipolar disorder sugar and other simple carbohydrates may harm more than help. Carbohydrate cravings in bipolar patients are legendary, so much so that increased intake of sugary treats is considered a clue to bipolar disorder during diagnosis."

This may seem like a drastic step to some, or even ridiculous that food can affect your mood, but, the medicines don't work and I have to make the choice to either let my bipolar control my life or choose that I deserve a good life instead. Michael Ellsberg did the same thing with his decision to use a sugar, coffee, and alcohol free diet to treat his bipolar II. There is a 20% suicide rate for bipolar II disorder and I am choosing to save my life even if it means a strict diet that doesn't fit in with societal norms.

Blessings,

Rev. Katie

4 comments:

  1. I hope you can stick to that diet long enough to see if it makes a difference.
    I manage to avoid caffeine, alcohol, refined sugar and refined flour 90% of the time. I too cannot take medication so I have to do other things.
    As soon as I don't feel well, or I am tired, I want sugar!
    I am certain diet plays a part in everyone's moods, but for those of us who have a mood disorder, more so.
    Good for you to be willing to tackle it. Changing how you eat is hard but worth it.
    I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Wendy! I too go for sugar as soon as I don't feel well. Way to go with sticking with your dietary changes, that is a hard thing to do. I will let you know how this goes.
      Blessings,
      Rev. Katie

      Delete
  2. We've had some amazing testimonials with respect to bipolar and the Whole30 - I wish you the best. Please keep in touch and let us know how your 30 days turned out.

    Best,
    Melissa & Dallas
    Whole9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. I will keep you posted. It seems to be going well and my therapist is pleased with this past week. Thank you for such a wonderful program! Next I am going to check out the book you suggest about sugar and sleep as sugar and sleep are two very important things for people with bipolar to regulate. And thank you for reading my blog.

      Blessings,
      Rev. Katie

      Delete