Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Exercise and the Brain

For my birthday yesterday, my husband gave me the gift of sanity...exercise.

Exercise makes a big difference in our mental health, even for those who do not have a mental illness. It makes us feel happier, more balanced, and allows us to focus better. In the book, Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, Dr. John Ratey talks about finding the power of exercise and the brain when a school teacher started having her students run on a treadmill each day. His book is amazing and speaks to one of the most important aspects of exercising for brain health, it must be done at a high level, at an aerobic level. While we are often told just 30 minutes of walking three times a week in enough, it is not enough for mental health, especially not for people with mental illness.

That is why my husband got me the gift of CrossFit for my birthday. We needed to make sure I had an exercise which is scheduled so I will show up, and that gets my heartrate up so I feel better. We have done two half marathons together so I know high intensity exercise works to treat my bipolar disorder, but it is often hard to actually stick with exercise when your illness is at it's worst. You need to have as many safeguards as possible to keep you exercising. The author of the blog Lithium and Lamictal writes about this in her post called Spinning.

At a 5K benefiting the Alzheimer's Association
As soon as I started running the other week, which increased the intensity of my workouts again, I was immediately better. I felt happier during the day and I could get more work done. The CrossFit workouts are high intensity, perfect for crosstraining, and I get to spend time with Jeff which makes it fun and great for my mental health.

So, take a class where someone will notice if you miss, workout with a friend, sign up for a 5K or even a marathon which requires that you train consistently. Read up on exercise and the brain and write down all of the benefits in a place where you can see the list so you always remember to exercise, even when you don't want to. Check out the links I have above in this post, and for information on how exercise helps for ADD, read Riding is My Ritalin.

Blessings,

Rev. Katie

4 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I know high intensity exercise is what makes me feel the best. I am definitely going to read Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always was more stable when I was exercising but unfortunately that fell to the side when I was caring for my sister who had cancer and eventually died. I make excuses after excuses to get up and just do it (I am about 80 lbs. overweight so I need to ease into this stuff) and actually found a yoga class that sounds good for me right now. I found the class a month ago and have yet to go. Again, excuses.

    With just having the Witch's New Year and a recent wake up call regarding my physical health I am making a major overhaul of my physical health which in turn will directly affect my mental health.

    Thank you for reminding us that it's not always just the mental and emotion, but the physical as well.

    Good for you for getting out there and taking charge even when you feel at your worst. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always realized the benefits of exercise, especially in the winter months, when depression seems to be at it's peak for me. I always feel less anxious and more energized with a higher cardio workout, especially running. It's very true that it's hard to start and continue exercise when you just feel like sleeping and eating which breeds a viscous cycle of weight gain, loss of energy, and motivation etc. You've reminded me that exercise should be first on my list in order to battle the rest of my daily list. As always thanks for sharing it's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments everyone! I hope you find ways to keep up with your exercise during these winter months, especially if you live somewhere cold. I now just try to see my exercise as medicine I take every day.

    Blessings,
    Rev. Katie

    ReplyDelete