Sunday, April 28, 2013

Why Having Fun Creates Better Mental Health

We have been trying to add different kinds of exercise, adventure, and fun to our lives. This is good for everyone's mental wellness, but it is especially helpful for people with mental illness. We chose some activities the other day that were inspired by a few of the principles in the book Running with Nature. We got outside, laughed and played, and had some adventure.

Research shows are many reasons why these activities help create mental wellness. Being outside gets us out in the sun, which elevates the mood. People with Seasonal Effective Disorder (SAD) and depression are often treated with light therapy. Too much darkness increases melatonin. Melatonin is needed for sleep, but too much of it can make people depressed and tired. Laughing and playing is proven to make everyone happier. Taking a bit of time each day for fun means we then have enough energy for the rest of our life such as work and it even helps us handle difficult situations better. It is also said that laughter helps us heal. Some hospitals and use humor therapy as part of their program and have found it reduces the need for medication.

Copyright, Jeff Norris
In order to get all of these benefits for us as a family, we decided to use the slackline that my husband Jeff bought on a whim a few months ago. Slacklining is basically balancing on a piece of nylon that is suspended between two trees. We also spent some time on our trampoline which is always fun. I often forget to do anything fun, ever, and I was reminded how important it is to my mental health and also the health of my family.

The slackline is basically a balance exercise, which means you need to be in tune with yourself. Balance exercises require you to pay attention to your body and really focus on what you are doing. This is never one of my favorite things to focus on because I am very self consious about my size and I often feel like a big bull in a china shop. I would rather forget I even have a physical body, but you can not do that when you are doing any kind of exercise that requires a focus on balance. Slacklining helped me be a little less upset about who I am as I started to just let go, have fun, and focus on learning to balance more. I found that when I started taking stronger antipsychotics a few years ago, my balance was severely effected and even though I stopped taking them, I have never gotten my balance back. I hope slacklining will help me reverse that.

I also found slacklining brings us closer together as a family. We were all encouraging each other and helping each other get across the line. We wanted to see each other succeed and we were all engaged in helping each other reach our goals. (My son is currently working on his best yet, four steps without help from anyone.) When we were on the trampoline, I commented that our neighbors must think we are so weird. Other people have trampolines, but we never see parents using them. Our son, while jumping high up in the air said, "You guys are the best parents and the most fun!" Seriously, how could you not feel happier after hearing that?

Copyright, Jeff Norris
As Jeff was helping me across the slackline I had this profound sense that we rarely are just present with each other. The longer partners are together, the less we remember to have any daily physical contact. You hold hands less and don't spend as much time really looking at each other. When Jeff helped me go across the line, I remembered how we still need to make time to be present with each other rather than just going through our daily lives. It is all too common for couples to loose connection with each other, especially when one of them is living with an illness. It can feel like all of your life is about the illness and everything becomes stressful. Spending time together having fun brought us much closer together and allowed us to appreciate each other more. All in just an hour.

They suggest one hour of play per day in Running with Nature and I can tell that the more we try and stick to that suggestion, the better off we will all be.

What will you do today that gets you outside, let's you have fun, and is a bit adventurous?

Blessings,

Rev. Katie

7 comments:

  1. There is growing evidence for the therapeutic affect of the natural world. A walk in the woods, some gardening, or even looking out of a window at a trees and birds can reduce anxiety and help people connect. When schools cut recess time, behavior and attitude problems increase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Sharon. Included in that, as I am sure you know, is that we should walk more often without shoes on in nature (safely of course).

      Delete
  2. "Humor is our best friend, temper our worst enemy" is one of the tools used in Recovery International, founded in 1938 by psycho-neurologist Abraham A. Low at the Illinois Research Hospital. This is just one of the tools used every day by members of Recovery to help them cope with the trivialities of everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard a lot about Recovery International and it is on my list of things to learn more about! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I've found that on days when I just want to lay on the couch, if I can make myself at least knit something, I feel much better. Even though it isn't going outside, I'm accomplishing something.

    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love knitting! I used to knit a lot, but once my Mom was unable to, I am having a hard time picking it up again, I think more out of grief. I still scrapbook though. Knitting is so meditative and gives a great sense of accomplishment. It is also a good way to connect with nature when you knit with natural fibers. (Although wool gives me the shivers.) I am so glad knitting helps you!

      Delete
  4. this is a great ideia,i like this post
    ======================================
    chiropractic care

    ReplyDelete